Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Keepa Goes to Family Home Evening

Keepa Goes to Family Home Evening

By: Michelle, Eric, Alex and Julia - March 15, 2009

Keepa’ninny Steve C. writes:

“This past week in Family Home Evening I did a lesson on kindness and being kind to others. As part of the lesson, I copied the coloring pictures from the 1923 Children’s Friend you posted on Keepapitchinin and put them into a PowerPoint presentation.

“I asked my children it they could tell me what acts of kindness were being shown in each picture. They had a lot of fun analyzing the pictures.

“I had also copied the images onto paper and gave them to the kids to color. I explained to them that these pictures came from the 1923 edition of the Children’s Friend and essentially no one has colored them in over 85 years. They thought it was a blast to color these “old” pictures.”

Today’s gallery comes to us courtesy of Michelle (age 12), Eric (age 10), Alex (age 6), and Julia (age 3) — with Julia being the most enthusiastic colorer I’ve run into for a long time. Thank you, C family!

Whenever readers use Keepa posts in Family Home Evening, or in lessons or talks, or in other ways, I’d be very happy to hear about it — write to keepapitchinin AT aol DOT com.

1. Hmm, I think I can identify the artists for each!

Comment by Eric Boysen — March 15, 2009 @ 7:43 am

2. Nice job, everybody!

Must say that Julia is a very thorough colorer. Love the monochromatic thing.

Comment by Jami — March 15, 2009 @ 7:50 am

3. The reference to “blankets bright” in the poem is certainly heeded by the first artist — very nice job all the way around, there.

I especially like the choice of the artist in the second picture to use pale blue for the pitcher and water glass — it really makes those objects “pop” off the page, and emphasizes the power of the kindness in giving water to thirsty strangers.

The dark, stormy sky in the fourth picture makes me think the new immigrants were very grateful to be invited into the nearby house.

And then there is Julia’s oeuvre — can’t help but smile, can you?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 15, 2009 @ 8:12 am

4. Thank you for your nice comments.

Comment by C family — March 15, 2009 @ 1:00 pm

5. What a great FHE!

Comment by Tatiana — March 15, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

6. Fun idea. I don’t have any little children and I can’t imagine what my teenage grandchildren would think if I gave them these pictures to color. Knowing them, however, they would ham it up all the while they colored. It was great to see a practical application to a Keepa post.

Comment by Maurine — March 16, 2009 @ 8:49 pm