Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Anybody Can Make an Ordinary Snowman …

Anybody Can Make an Ordinary Snowman …

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 12, 2009

I am on an Avard T. Fairbanks kick today, apparently. Please share my enjoyment this afternoon of one of his most ephemeral creations, sculpted in 1942:

1. “Holy Cow” just seems appropriate.

Comment by Ray — March 12, 2009 @ 1:42 pm

2. Wow – an artist and an engineer. I mean, it takes special talent to make it withstand the weight of three kids on the hind quarters!

Comment by Hunter — March 12, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

3. This is how a dad should play with his kids! I’m guessing these are his wife and kids here. I always liked it when my Dad did something fun and outrageous with us like this.

Comment by Bruce Crow — March 12, 2009 @ 7:15 pm

4. Good one, Ray. I can’t snow you. Or buffalo you, either! :)

Hunter, amazing, isn’t it?

Bruce, those smiles do say “happy family here,” don’t they? That’s his wife Beatrice Fox Fairbanks, and sons — Justin in the tree, Grant on the buffalo’s head, and David, Jonathan and Virgil on the back.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 12, 2009 @ 7:43 pm

5. After reading your post on Arvad Fairbanks, I did a little reading about him. He studied art in New York and Paris. Got a doctorate in Art and was a professor at the University of Michigan. He was also commissioned to sculpt statues of individuals from Washington, Wyoming and North Dakota that are in the Statuary Hall in the Capitol building in Washington DC. What a gifted artist!

I bet his “snowmen” he built with his kids put all the other fathers in the neighborhood to shame. :-)

Comment by Steve C. — March 13, 2009 @ 6:36 am

6. “Virgil’s daddy built him a buffalo. Daddy, build me a dinosaur!” “Not now, kid.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 13, 2009 @ 6:57 am

7. Most excellent!

Comment by BHodges — March 13, 2009 @ 10:24 am

8. Great picture! Some dads build tree houses while others sculpt buffalos. I like that eveyone in the picture is smiling and happy.

Comment by Maurine — March 13, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

9. Great image, Ardis. Thanks for posting it.

Comment by Brandon — March 13, 2009 @ 3:22 pm