Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Nike Never Had an Endorsement Like This

Nike Never Had an Endorsement Like This

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 17, 2009

From The Children’s Friend, April 1926:

Enlargement of center:

1. I think I saw someone wearing these in the hood.

Where can I get these?

Comment by Eric Nielson — February 17, 2009 @ 9:34 am

2. Through your local merchant, Eric. Through your local merchant.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 17, 2009 @ 9:46 am

3. I wonder who they might have gotten for celebrity endorsements in those days? I understand that Joseph Fielding Smith played handball into his 70′s at the old Deseret Gym, so he would likely have been in his prime at this time.

They do look a lot like Converse “Chuck Taylor” All Stars, though.

Comment by kevinf — February 17, 2009 @ 10:00 am

4. “Hello. I’m Elder Jumpsalot. The Zarahemla 1st Ward team wears Hood River’s ‘Greyhound’ Basket Ball Shoe exclusively. It was the secret weapon in our success over the Goshen Gadiantons in last week’s stake tournament.

“‘Greyhound.’ Get ‘em. Soar to celestial heights; crush evil teams from the next stake. L.D.S. Gymnasiums everywhere, and Elder Jumpsalot, recommend them.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 17, 2009 @ 10:23 am

5. LDS gymnasiums recommend “wurkshus”? I think the FM Group in our area would pitch a fit at the idea of a gym endorsing a work shoe.

Comment by Ray — February 17, 2009 @ 11:51 am

6. Awesome testimonials Ardis! Hilarious.

Comment by Kent (MC) — February 17, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

7. I think it is interesting that this ad was in The Children’s Friend, not in The Improvement Era. Who would be buying the shoes, the weekday women Primary teachers for their husbands?

Comment by Maurine — February 17, 2009 @ 10:25 pm

8. Ha! Never thought of that.

Another frequent ad in the Children’s Friend that year was for furnaces — you know, in case the kids wanted to buy one with their pennies, I guess? When we figure out the one, it’ll probably explain the other.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 17, 2009 @ 10:40 pm

9. My children pay a scary amount of attention to the ads they see on TV. When my 10 year old asks me if we have the right kind of mortgage (or car, life insurance, prscription meds, etc) I know they have reached a particularly receptive audience. I still do the buying but my kids try to influence my decisions. So maybe the people who placed the ads were smarter than we think.

Comment by BruceCrow — February 18, 2009 @ 6:31 am