Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Happy Birthday, Mr. Lincoln

Happy Birthday, Mr. Lincoln

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 12, 2009

1. I’ve been trying to figure out how to celebrate Lincoln’s 200th birthday. Besides visiting some large but fairly distant Lincoln exhibits, no ideas presented themselves until Google kindly informed me this morning that it was also Charles Darwin’s 200th birthday. At that point, the answer became obvious: turtle soup.

Comment by Researcher — February 12, 2009 @ 10:49 am

2. And don’t forget the great German composer Felix Mendelssohn, also born February 1809 (albeit the actual bicentennial was last week).

All in all, 1809 wasn’t a bad year!

Comment by Hunter — February 12, 2009 @ 11:32 am

3. Where do you get the knuckle of veal and the cow’s heels, Researcher? And I don’t even want to know what “forcemeat balls” are, or why they come by the dozen …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 12, 2009 @ 12:39 pm

4. Ardis, I confess to being an over-the-top Abraham Lincoln fan. Good to know the JI people were with me on this one. Happy 200th, President Lincoln. (You to Mr. Darwin. And mom.)

Comment by Jami — February 12, 2009 @ 12:46 pm

5. too

Comment by Jami — February 12, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

6. If you have a problem locating those ingredients (try asking your local butcher) you can try mock turtle soup.

(Sounds nasty, actually. I think we’ll have tacos instead.)

Comment by Researcher — February 12, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

7. Did the JI do a tribute to Charles Darwin, too?

Comment by Steve C. — February 12, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

8. Jami,

Your mom’s 200 years old? Wow!

Comment by Mark B. — February 12, 2009 @ 2:33 pm

9. No, my mom’s the young’n in the crowd. 59. She’s got to wait 141 years before she truly deserves my good wishes.

Comment by Jami — February 12, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

10. After all that, I ended up making a birthday cake for Lincoln’s 200th birthday. I wanted to do my patriotic duty (thanks, Ardis and the Reeves!) — the cake used two cups of sugar, and the frosting four cups of powdered sugar. (Shudder.)

But we did say some kind words about Mr. Lincoln to the kids and sing some Civil War era songs, including from this wonderful site: The Library of Congress Civil War Sheet Music Collection.

Comment by Researcher — February 12, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

11. Wow, Researcher, what a great site. Thanks for sharing. And long live the memory of our 16th President!

Comment by Hunter — February 12, 2009 @ 7:33 pm

12. I had turtle soup when I was a child, a week after a pet (captured wild in our back yard) box turtle disappeared. My sister and I only found out what we were eating when we were well into the meal. We thought, of course, that my Mom had made the soup from the missing turtle, ala Greek tragedy. Though she told us otherwise, we felt like cannibals and spent the rest of the night in a whirl of retching and recriminations. We never had turtle soup again.

Comment by Eric Boysen — February 15, 2009 @ 7:52 am