Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » It’s Covered

It’s Covered

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 04, 2009

There is no particular reason for posting this cover,
except that it makes me laugh.

1. You’re not alone. I’m sitting here chuckling out loud. My guess is the artist was related to someone important?

The baby is seemingly yawning, but instead the effect is disturbing. If I had to add a caption to the picture, it would be: “I’m tired of all this milk drinking crap. I’m ready to tear into some meat. And make it bloody!”

Comment by Hunter — February 4, 2009 @ 2:37 pm

2. Har! That’s good Hunter. Maybe we should have a caption-the-cover-art contest sometime.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 4, 2009 @ 2:51 pm

3. Maybe we should have a caption-the-cover-art contest sometime.

now THAT is an inspired idea. i hope juvenile humor would be acceptable. ;-D

Comment by ellen — February 4, 2009 @ 3:11 pm

4. Perhaps it was High Council Sunday (or its 1922 equivalent). That’ll put anyone in a foul, yet sleepy mood.

Comment by Jami — February 4, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

5. Juvenile humor would be the ONLY kind acceptable. We could work out all our foul — er, snarky reactions in the contest, since Keepapitchininnies are too well-behaved to let loose on serious posts.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 4, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

6. I dunno, makes me think of this old cover star of the Weekly World News. Could they be related?

Comment by kevinf — February 4, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

7. On the other hand, from 1922, it could sell be “Midway Through the Saturday Afternoon Session of Stake Conference”.

For you younger ‘ninnies, yes indeed, stake conference back in the day included two two hour sessions on Saturday, and two on Sunday, leading to the old joke if the second coming is going to happen when we least expect it, it will be during the Saturday afternoon session of Stake Conference”. I think that ended somewhere in the mid to late 60’s.

Comment by kevinf — February 4, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

8. Bat Boy! I have a special fondness for Bat Boy, for personal reasons that shall remain unstated.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 4, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

9. kevinf:

Were there really two Saturday sessions? I remember the two Sunday sessions–our parents always left us home for the afternoon–I suspect they figured that two hours in the morning on the wooden pews of the Provo Tabernacle were enough for us. But I don’t remember any Saturday sessions.

Comment by Mark B. — February 4, 2009 @ 4:13 pm

10. Mark,

As I get older, my memory is slipping. Too much rock and roll. Maybe it was only two on Sunday, but it all seems fuzzy to me. Perhaps that is because whatever afternoon session it was, my friends and I would sit up in the balcony of the Ogden Tabernacle, while my parents sat on the main floor. On occasion, we were known to either slip over to the Farr’s Ice Cream, which would tend to indicate Saturdays, or the JB’s Big Boy just across Washington Boulevard, which could have been Sunday. Not that I made a regular practice of it, but on occasions, we did it. I still can’t believe my parents didn’t make us sit with them.

Comment by kevinf — February 4, 2009 @ 4:34 pm

11. Kevinf: I was wondering what had happened to bat boy. I haven’t seen in in the “news” for quite a while.

Back to the cover. I guess when they call it the Juvenile Instructor they really meant juvenile.

Comment by Steve C. — February 4, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

12. Maybe we should change our masthead to this.

Comment by Christopher — February 4, 2009 @ 7:40 pm

13. I love it! What a great picture! Somehow I’m sad because the church today wouldn’t ever put such a thing on the cover of one of its magazines. Why can’t we have quirky and unexpected delights like this anymore?

Comment by Tatiana — February 4, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

14. Ah, but that’s why we have Keepa! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 4, 2009 @ 9:23 pm

15. I just about choked when I saw that coer, and it was even harder to breathe when I read the commentary.

I’m still chuckling, and it’s been a couple of minutes since I saw the post.

Comment by Ray — February 4, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

16. “cover” – *sigh*

Comment by Ray — February 4, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

17. The baby is about to belch the alphabet song.

Comment by danithew — February 4, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

18. Caption:

I’m SO tired of hearing all of the juvenile anti-Mormon arguments. I’m going to bed.

Comment by Ray — February 4, 2009 @ 9:35 pm

19. The little ‘un is clearly about to spit up… dramatically.

Comment by Latter-day Guy — February 4, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

20. (And if it DOES depict HC Sunday, well… dreadful manners, but what a critic!)

Comment by Latter-day Guy — February 4, 2009 @ 9:38 pm

21. Ardis, So true!

Comment by Tatiana — February 4, 2009 @ 10:07 pm

22. :D

Comment by Michelle Glauser — February 5, 2009 @ 2:34 am

23. As an aside, Bat Boy was quite active in 2008. Among other things, Bat Boy endorsed Barack Obama, Obatma‘s half-brother.

Ardis, is the cover artist credited?

Comment by Justin — February 5, 2009 @ 9:03 am

24. Justin, all the cover art for the JI for that period was stock purchased from elsewhere (kind of like the sweet Music Personified gal). There’s a miniscule credit line that starts “Copr. The Kna” in the bottom right-hand corner; I think the picture may have been cropped for the cover, losing part of the credit line.

And hey, thanks for the updates on my friend Bat Boy and the presidential half-brother!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 5, 2009 @ 9:34 am

25. Justin:
    I also want to thank you for the updates on Batboy. Do you think he might be the next pick for HHS Secretary?

Comment by Steve C. — February 5, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

26. If so, the Department’s acronym will change to HBS, no?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 5, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

27. That would be an improvement, Ardis: to delete Harvard Business School from my monogram memory bank, and replace it with Health and Bat Services!

Those Cambridge guys should salute you!

Comment by Mark B. — February 5, 2009 @ 6:44 pm