Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1902 (double issue)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1902 (double issue)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 29, 2009

… “double issue” because I’ve found far more images for 1902 than for any other year so far.

Enjoy these group portraits of Sunday Schools, missionaries, and branch gatherings from around the world. These are our people, who knew what we know.

Honolulu, Hawaii

Koenigsburg, Germany

West Hartlepool, England

Utah Deaf, Dumb and Blind School

Derby, England

Belfast, Ireland

Myrtle, Texas

Chicago, Illinois (junior class)

Chicago Illinois

Helsingborg, Sweden

Hyrum, Utah, 2nd Ward

Los Angeles,
California

Basle, Switzerland

Hebburn, England

1. Dunno how the comments got turned off on this. Sorry!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 29, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

2. Ardis:

Glad to see you got the comments turned on. :-)

Since our discussion yesterday centered on the Saints in the Baltic region, I’ll have to comment on the Koenigsberg branch. It was one of the larger branches in East Prussia. On the eve of World War II it had 465 members. In 1943, the city was heavily bombed and 35 families lost their homes. No doubt many of those families left the area. With the advance of the Soviet army many more members left as refugees. When World War II ended, the strong enclave of LDS in eastern Germany was gone and the branch was dissolved.

Comment by Steve C. — January 29, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

3. Great pictures! I am surprised at the size of the groups in some of the European pictures…

Comment by Nate Oman — January 29, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

4. I’m not surprised. Gotta love it! Just sad about what war did to those numbers . . .

Comment by Michelle Glauser — January 29, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

5. Sometimes when you see an unexpectedly large group of children, it’s because it’s a missionary Sunday School for non-member children. But all of these European groups (except possibly Koenigsburg) seem to include a good mix of ages, with enough adults to children that they seem to me to be families, thus more likely to be member branches than investigator Sunday Schools.

By the way, take a close look at the West Hartlepool group. I can’t be sure, but I wonder if one of the little girls in the front row might be a Down’s child. If so, I love the way she’s included, not institutionalized.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 29, 2009 @ 2:22 pm

6. Yeah, I noticed the same girl, Ardis, but wasn’t sure if perhaps it wasn’t just a blurry part of the photo. Anyhow, I’m glad she’s right there at church, too.

Comment by Hunter — January 29, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

7. I have tried to figure out why I find these pictures so fascinating. I think it because they make me think about the ways in which I am different from and similar to these people. Thanks. These are great.

Comment by Martin Willey — January 29, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

8. Martin Willey:
    I agree with you. These pictures of so fascinating. I often consider what the people did, what their individual stories were, what their futures held and so forth. I also think that they were so full of life in 1902. They aged and, eventually, passed on.

These branch/ward photos have been an inspiration of sorts for me. A few months ago our Primary had its sacrament presentation. Afterward, my wife (counselor in the Primary) and I took the kids out front, posed them and took their picture for future generations. Maybe a 100 years from now people will be blogging about that picture of the Primary. Ardis, will you still be doing Keepa then?

Comment by Steve C. — January 29, 2009 @ 6:19 pm

9. A reader in Scotland has kindly corrected my spelling of two of the English branch names. Thanks!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 29, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

10. I always love these pictures. I am especially interested in this batch and would love to get copies of the Millville Utah Ward for our Hyrum Stake History I’m co-authoring. I don’t have this one. I also would love to get the picture of Middlesbrough, England (this is the spelling our family uses and the spelling when I was there about ten years ago). Assuming that this is the same place as your picture, it may have some relatives in it. My husband’s grandparents and family lived there until 1912 when they immigrated to Richfield, Utah. My father-in-law was born there in 1906, but he had six older siblings, five born before 1902.

Comment by Maurine — January 29, 2009 @ 8:25 pm

11. Pictures sent. (Anytime anyone wants a picture from Keepa, let me know.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 29, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

12. I think there were more members in some of the English Branches then than there are now! I have a friend currently living in Helsingborg- will send her the link so she can have a peek too.

Thanks!

Comment by Anne (UK) — January 30, 2009 @ 5:20 am

13. I would love to get a copy of the Helsingborg ward, it is amazing to have a picture from back then. (thanks Anne, for sending it to me)

Comment by Lindsay (Helsingborg) — January 30, 2009 @ 9:40 am

14. It’s on its way. If any reaaallly oldtimers in Helsingborg can identify anyone, I’d be glad to hear of that.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 30, 2009 @ 10:44 am

15. Is there anyone out there that might have the names of the members in the Hyrum, Utah picture? Both sets of Great Grandparents lived/died there. And my grandparents lived/married there. I’m looking for Bensons and Wrays. Thanks!!

Comment by John Wray — June 30, 2009 @ 12:18 pm