Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Ads You’re Not Going to See Again Anytime Soon – Chapter 16

Ads You’re Not Going to See Again Anytime Soon – Chapter 16

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 26, 2009

At least, I don’t think we see ads like these from 1964 and 1965 anymore — do builders still advertise by using the pictures of LDS buildings they have helped to construct?

1. Ardis,

Where/how do you come up with this stuff???!!!

The add with DT is awesome!

Comment by rk — January 26, 2009 @ 6:34 am

2. Woo-hoo! Deseret Towers! It’s funny to think that it’s not there anymore (is it all gone???). The rooms were just slightly larger and more comfortable than prison cells. And the buildings were so horribly ugly.

But I met my husband there and made so many good friends.

T hall, 89-90 anyone? :)

Comment by Researcher — January 26, 2009 @ 6:56 am

3. Sealed to my parents in Oakland.

Lived in DT W Hall.

oldest son lived in W Hall 20 years later!

Now, could you find some ads from the old Relief Society Magazine for LaVoy–that lead-lined lingerie and temple dress company. I’ve been telling my daughter about it and she just doesn’t believe me!

Comment by kerry — January 26, 2009 @ 7:10 am

4. HA! I lived top-left corner of S-hall, the centerfold in the lower picture. The view was more than worth the room, even though I had to live across from the floor monitor.

Comment by SilverRain — January 26, 2009 @ 7:19 am

5. The fondness for DT is unexpected — I shoulda guessed, though. If by chance any of you want those scans of DT for a scrapbook or journal entry, I’ll trim them up and email them to you. (Actually, that goes for just about any picture on Keepa, if you want a little better quality than you can lift off the screen.)

rk, it’s like picking plums off a tree — my ads have all come from old church magazines, and there’s something unusual in just about any issue of any magazine I flip through. Some people need Disneyland to get the thrills I can find in a file of dusty old magazines.

How funny, kerry! I’ve been looking at the LaVoy ads and wondering if they were odd enough to include in this series! You’ve convinced me.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 26, 2009 @ 7:30 am

6. I don’t think “adequate stocks” is a phrase used much in modern advertising. Also, “you’ll be high on the results” just sounds so funny now.

Comment by Ray — January 26, 2009 @ 7:34 am

7. Researcher, I was at BYU at the same time, though I left DT (V-Hall) in 88, so half my ward was in T-Hall. I thought that only two of the towers were torn down; the two that are not in the photos above.

Comment by BruceCrow — January 26, 2009 @ 8:24 am

8. I actually do like those “unusual temple towers.” Unique.

Comment by Michelle Glauser — January 26, 2009 @ 8:50 am

9. T-321, 1970-71 (my freshman year at BYU). When I think of some of the ‘stunts’ that went on during that year, I’m surprised our dorm mother didn’t resort to electroshock therapy (for us, not her), if not summary execution. ..bruce..

Comment by bfwebster — January 26, 2009 @ 9:13 am

10. T-Hall, 74-75.

Comment by Yet Another John — January 26, 2009 @ 10:09 am

11. [D]o builders still advertise by using the pictures of LDS buildings they have helped to construct?

I’m not sure, although the conference center, temples, and BYU projects come to mind as work that a builder in the mountain west (Jacobsen or Okland) might feature in its advertising/promotional materials.

Comment by Justin — January 26, 2009 @ 10:13 am

12. Re: #2 and #7: Yes, DT is completely gone, and all buildings have been torn down. It seems weird every time I drive down 9th East.

Re: #11: Jacobsen and Okland both list many temples and church buildings among their current projects on their websites.

Comment by Christopher — January 26, 2009 @ 12:32 pm

13. Keepa is the coolest! Who ever knew history was so fascinating?

Comment by Tatiana — January 26, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

14. So sad that DT is gone. I always meant to grab a brick as a souvenir. Now I know it was an Interpace Face Brick I didn’t grab!

Comment by Jacob F — January 26, 2009 @ 12:54 pm

15. U Hall all the way! And like Jacob F, I’m sad I didn’t grab an Interpace Face Brick.

Comment by Meghan — January 26, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

16. Interpace is still in business — maybe all you who missed the chance at a piece of rubble should contact them about buying a new brick. Souvenir-by-proxy, as it were.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 26, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

17. From these responses, T hall must have switched from a male dorm to female at some point. I’m trying to remember whether I knew that.

Comment by Researcher — January 26, 2009 @ 2:10 pm

18. My question is who were they trying to reach through this advertising? Under the old budget plans where wards and stakes had to raise building funds, did they also get to choose their own contractors? I can only assume that the intended consumers were LDS business owners, who might want to put a spire or two on top of their auto dealership or grocery store.

We do have a rather odd building from this time frame in our stake boundaries, unlike any other I’ve ever seen elsewhere. It has many problems, doesn’t meet current earthquake standards, and isn’t completely wheelchair accessible. It could be the reason the church went to standardized building plans.

Comment by kevinf — January 26, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

19. I’m almost certain they did get to choose their suppliers, kevinf — there are so many ads not only for building materials, but for benches, organs, chairs, carpets, sacrament sets, and other furnishings, and the Improvement Era (where most of my ads come from) would have been an unprofitable audience unless the Wherever 3rd Ward building committee was seeing those ads.

I saw one picture — I wish I had copied it, but I didn’t — of a chapel under construction or newly completed, with the notation that the stake president had been the architect. I do hope there was some sort of approval process that local building committees needed to submit to …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 26, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

20. I remember when DT was built. They used the “lift-slab” method of construction–all six or seven of the concrete floors were poured “on the ground, with heavy sheets of polyethelene between each slab. Then the slabs were jacked up and bracing and interior and exterior walls were built in between. This method of construction fell out of favor (“fall” is probably the wrong verb to use there) when a building under construction (the L’Ambiance Place in Bridgeport, CT) using this method collapsed due to inadequate bracing.

Comment by Mark B. — January 26, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

21. It is fun to see all of the old ads you come up with. Keep them coming.

Comment by Maurine — January 26, 2009 @ 8:21 pm

22. Ardis writes (#5): “. . . the thrills I can find in a file of dusty old magazines.”

Yeah! You go, girl – your values are in the right place, firmly grounded in what truly inspires.

Rick Grunder-BOOKS (heh, heh!)

Comment by Rick Grunder — January 26, 2009 @ 9:50 pm

23. It is very strange to see an advertisement with LDS buildings on it. Not so strange in the state of Utah, but very strange anywhere else in the world.

Comment by Mike — January 27, 2009 @ 6:18 am

24. Huh. I lived in V-Hall in 1988 as well.

Comment by queuno — January 27, 2009 @ 8:22 pm

25. (My wife lived in T-Hall, albeit in a different ward, but the V-T combo was indirectly related to our meeting and marrying.)

Comment by queuno — January 27, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

26. queuno, you met your wife through visiting teaching? That’s a story I’d like to hear. :)

Comment by Ray — January 27, 2009 @ 10:13 pm

27. Hah. Hardly. :)

Comment by queuno — January 27, 2009 @ 11:03 pm

28. S Hall for a week-long Explorer’s conference – ’67
    T Hall, 7th floor as Freshman 1969-70.
    Loved the Towers and the friendships there! Had Bellamy Brown as floor’s Sr. Resident, where I met Jim F. during his frequent visits to Bellamy.
    You get a good tour of Deseret Towers in the “Sisterz In Zion” video because the Manhattan-ites stayed there for EFY in 2003.

Comment by manaen — January 29, 2009 @ 1:35 pm