Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » How’s Your Walk and Your Talk? Another Keepa Puzzle

How’s Your Walk and Your Talk? Another Keepa Puzzle

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 16, 2009

Speaking of revelation in his April Conference talk of 1946, future church president Harold B. Lee said,

As the Latter-day Saints go home from this conference, it would be well if they consider seriously the importance of taking with them the report of this conference and let it be the guide to their walk and talk during the next six months. These are the important matters the Lord sees fit to reveal to this people in this day in the year 1946.

So … It’s been three months since October Conference, 2008. Are you walking and talking with the major talks of that Conference enough to recognize them by their key words?

These wordles (generated at wordle.net) were created and sent in by a Keepa reader who says he doesn’t need to be acknowledged (but thank you, A).

Can you identify the speaker without referring to the transcription? Usual rules apply — solve one entry only so that others coming later have a chance to play. And do tell us if you were able to identify a talk solely from the wordle, or whether you needed to resort to the Ensign!

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

1. Are you walking and talking with the major talks of that Conference enough to recognize them by their key words?

No, but I can guess away to my hearts content. I think I know three or four, but . . .

#8 – Elder Nelson?

Comment by Ray — January 16, 2009 @ 10:53 am

2. #8 — Yes, Elder Russell M. Nelson, “Celestial Marriage.” (Ray isn’t walkin’ and talkin’, but he may be shoppin’.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 11:03 am

3. #5 is definitely Elder Holland’s talk on angels among us. I found it to be a beautiful talk, beautifully delivered.

Comment by Hunter — January 16, 2009 @ 11:12 am

4. Hunter scores, too. #5 is Jeffrey R. Holland, “The Ministry of Angels.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 11:34 am

5. I appreciate everyone’s brilliance.

Comment by Jami — January 16, 2009 @ 11:38 am

6. The one that I can say for sure is #7. It is President Uchtdorf’s talk on hope. It wasmexactly what I needed to hear, I love that man.

Comment by john scherer — January 16, 2009 @ 11:53 am

7. Er, ‘it was exactly’. Sorry.

Comment by john scherer — January 16, 2009 @ 11:53 am

8. john scherer gets #7 right, Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorft, “The Infinite Power of Hope.”

Jami, except for the ones I’ve taught in Relief Society, and one or two with unusual words (the one with Walden and Pond, for instance), I wouldn’t do so well. This is a tough puzzle!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 11:58 am

9. #12 Christofferson?

Comment by Ben — January 16, 2009 @ 12:15 pm

10. So very annoying that the wordles don’t appear at work (darned filter). Now I can’t play. :(

Comment by Coffinberry — January 16, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

11. Ardis, if it’s ok to give very broad hints, #1 caused as much stir in the Bloggernacle as any of them except #8 – right?

Comment by Ray — January 16, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

12. Ben, #12 is indeed D. Todd Christofferson, “Come to Zion.”

Coffinberry, we’ll give you full credit (yeah, like it counts toward graduation or something), if you play at home tonight and tell us some that you figured out, even though someone else may have been first to post.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 12:30 pm

13. Ray, I don’t remember a particular stir about #1, but you read some of the borderline blogs that I avoid so you may have seen a fuss I missed. #1 is a talk I taught in Relief Society, yet I’m still surprised that the word Sacrament is quite that overwhelmingly prominent.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

14. 1. is Oaks?
    6. is Perry (Walden Pond)

Comment by Matt W. — January 16, 2009 @ 12:46 pm

15. Dangit! I forget the rules! How embarrassing!

Comment by Matt W. — January 16, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

16. And I know #9 has got to be my favorite Apostle, cause it says “laugh”, but I won’t say who it is.

Comment by Matt W. — January 16, 2009 @ 12:50 pm

17. #1 is definitely Elder Oaks on the Sacrament.

Comment by Audrey — January 16, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

18. #9 also says football. hint hint.

Comment by john scherer — January 16, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

19. #1 suggested by Matt and confirmed by Audrey is right: Dallin H. Oaks, “Sacrament Meeting and the Sacrament.”

#6 is also right, L. Tom Perry, “Let Him Do It with Simplicity.”

Can’t vouch for Matt’s favorite apostle, but I suppose we can take his word for it!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

20. This is even tougher than I realized. Here’s a recap of what’s been solved and what’s left for anybody who wants to play over the weekend:

1 – Dallin H. Oaks
    11 –
    12 – D. Todd Christofferson
    13 –
    14 –
    15 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 3:06 pm

21. Ardis, just to bump this post back onto the sidebar, is #14 Bednar?

Comment by Ray — January 16, 2009 @ 6:27 pm

22. Thanks for jumpstarting this, Ray.

Yes, #14 is David A. Bednar, “Pray Always.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 16, 2009 @ 6:39 pm

23. Ardis, if your name was lin, I’d sau: In number 9, That’s a big Joseph, for what it B. Wirth, lin.

Comment by Matt W. — January 16, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

24. er say

Comment by Matt W. — January 16, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

25. Is #7 The Infinite Power of Hope,
    President Dieter F. Uchtdorf?

Comment by Jami — January 16, 2009 @ 8:26 pm

26. I’m getting a feeling somehow that #9 is Elder Wirthlin – for some very odd reason – some really odd reason.

Comment by Ray — January 16, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

27. Is #3 be “Honor the Priesthood and Use It Well” by Elder Richard G. Scott?

Comment by Jami — January 16, 2009 @ 8:54 pm

28. Strike that “be” in 27.

Comment by Jami — January 16, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

29. [...] Sunday as President “Sanctity of Life Day”» The Mitt Romney Commemorative Plate» How’s Your Walk and Your Talk? Another Keepa Puzzle» Aww: Obama named gun salesman of the year» Breaking News in the ’09s: iPhone and [...]

Pingback by Shared Items - 16 January 2009 | A Soft Answer — January 16, 2009 @ 10:00 pm

30. Subtle, Matt, so subtle! {grin} I’m amazed that Ray was able to solve that one!

#9, Joseph B. Wirthlin, “Come What May, and Love It.”

And Jami comes in with a doubleheader:

#3, Richard G. Scott, “Honor the Priesthood and Use it Well.”

#7, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “The Infinite Power of Hope.” Don’t you love the way “hope” stands out in that wordle?

Recap:

11 -
    12 – D. Todd Christofferson
    13 -
    14 – David A. Bednar
    15 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 17, 2009 @ 8:28 am

31. #4 is “Christian Courage” by Elder Hales.

Comment by Jenni — January 17, 2009 @ 8:37 am

32. I’m coming late to this one, but 15 would have to be “Finding Joy in the Journey” by President Monson. Emily = the character in Our Town and Borghild and Minnesota was a story about an author.

Comment by Researcher — January 17, 2009 @ 8:51 am

33. Jenni comes in with the solution to #4, Robert D. Hales, “Christian Courage,” and Researcher pegs #15, Thomas S. Monson, “Finding Joy in the Journey.”

(Really, there’s no reason for me to repeat what you’ve just written … I dunno why I do that …)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 17, 2009 @ 9:03 am

34. #13 – Didn’t Elder Packer talk about trials and difficulties of some kind? I can’t remember the title of the talk, but is #13 his?

Comment by Ray — January 17, 2009 @ 10:06 am

35. President Packer’s talk “The Test” is among the unsolved puzzles, but not #13. He did a quick tour through church history, including the Martyrdom, and the Utah War, and the handcarts.

These wordles are harder than the first ones we tried, I think, because so many of them don’t have prominent, unique words. The few that did — like “sacrament” and “hope” — were far more easily recognizable.

In #2, for example, the most visible word is “Church” — not very helpful. The talk that produced that wordle was an overview of church history, its early movements and the formation of colonies, and how it’s spread throughout the earth with the growth of missionary numbers. But each of the foreign lands that speaker mentioned was mentioned only once, so those places don’t stand out as clues in the puzzle.

#4 is similarly difficult because it was a gentle talk about discipleship in general, with few very distinctive words being used repeatedly enough to really stand out in the puzzle. Still, I think it and the other remaining puzzles would be recognizable to someone who scanned the table of contents page in the November 2008 Ensign.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 17, 2009 @ 11:11 am

36. Now that we have permission to use the Ensign Table of Contents, it’s only a matter of time! :)

Comment by Ray — January 17, 2009 @ 11:41 am

37. Oh. Confession time. I used lds.org. Never would have gotten them without the talks in front of me. So don’t score that doubleheader, OK?

Comment by Jami — January 17, 2009 @ 11:52 am

38. #2: The Truth of God Shall Go Forth,
    Elder M. Russell Ballard

I was looking for Rockies and found nothing. Once I realized the word was Rocky all became clear. (It’d be more than mildly amusing if I was wrong.)

Comment by Jami — January 17, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

39. Jami, you get the credit whether you want it or not! And you’re right about that rocky #2 — M. Russell Ballard, “The Truth of God Shall Go Forth.”

Ray, solve away — anything is fair now since anybody who wanted to play has had plenty of time to check in.

If I have it straight, 10, 11 and 13 are up for grabs.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 17, 2009 @ 12:22 pm

40. I think #11 is Henry B. Eyring.

Comment by Justin — January 17, 2009 @ 12:40 pm

41. I think you’re right, Justin: #11, Henry B. Eyring, “Our Hearts Knit as One.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 17, 2009 @ 1:24 pm

42. #13 – Elder Cook?

Comment by Ray — January 17, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

43. #10 Packer?

Comment by Ben — January 17, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

44. Yes, and yes, to Ray and Ben. Whew!

1 – Dallin H. Oaks