Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Your Mission Exit Interview in a Nutshell

Your Mission Exit Interview in a Nutshell

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 14, 2009

(From the Improvement Era, 1965)

1. Tee-hee *snort*!

Credit?!?!? That’s not for a house or your education! ;-)

Comment by Chad Too — January 14, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

2. The omitted [wink] portion of the ad: “And at 128 So. Main, Daynes Jewelry is conveniently located at only a half mile from the Salt Lake Temple. You can pick up your ring first and then walk to your wedding ceremony without even breaking a sweat!”

Seriously though, this ad reminds me once again just how Salt Lake-based the Church was. And how much it isn’t anymore.

Comment by Hunter — January 14, 2009 @ 4:19 pm

3. Oh, Ardis, I can’t stop laughing. The title is awesome!

Comment by Ray — January 14, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

4. This is hilarious!

Comment by Maurine — January 15, 2009 @ 12:31 am

5. Has God confounded our language?

Comment by Eric Boysen — January 15, 2009 @ 5:58 am

6. Do you mean that large bunch of spam that looks like it got deleted, Eric? What a pestilential curse on society. (Otherwise I’m missing the joke.)

The ring ad is funny, as is the title. I always felt gypped, though, because I never had a “mission exit interview” and my mission president never told us to go home and get married. [Small sob about missing that intrinsic part of Mormon culture.]

Comment by Researcher — January 15, 2009 @ 6:23 am

7. I thought there was more and after I realized there was just the graphic, I got it. Ha ha ha.

Comment by Michelle Glauser — January 15, 2009 @ 8:45 am

8. My mission president didn’t tell me to go get married. He did say something to me about it being “OK” to for missionaries to date someone they met on their mission once they were home, as long as they don’t date while they were missionaries. It was a very weird interview. I get the sense he knew or perhaps sensed something I did not. Or maybe since I was already 26 he was trying to say “don’t waste time looking for someone. Marry someone you already know.”

Comment by BruceCrow — January 15, 2009 @ 9:46 am

9. No, really, I literally snorted when I saw this. The title had me intrigued, but I was not prepared for what I saw.

So funny.

Comment by m&m — January 16, 2009 @ 12:56 am

10. Translated, my exit interview was along the lines of, “Elder, you’ve been changing diapers for 2 years, give yourself some time before you get back into that…”

Comment by queuno — January 18, 2009 @ 3:41 pm