Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Jay Welch, Former Mormon Tabernacle Choir Director, Has Died

Jay Welch, Former Mormon Tabernacle Choir Director, Has Died

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 16, 2008

The obituary of Jay Evard Welch, founder of the Jay Welch Chorale, the Mormon Youth Symphony and Chorus, and the Salt Lake Repertory Orchestra, and best known for his longtime service with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, appears in today’s Salt Lake City newspapers (HT: Mark B.). He passed away Sunday, and his funeral will be held on Thursday.

I hope to post something more than a link to the obituary soon.

1. I think this tree fell in the forest and nobody heard.

Comment by Mark B. — December 16, 2008 @ 3:04 pm

2. The Deseret News has a brief article on his life.

Comment by Justin — December 16, 2008 @ 3:20 pm

3. A longer DN article from 2005.

Comment by Justin — December 16, 2008 @ 3:27 pm

4. I searched the Deseret News this morning, and nothing turned up–other than the obituary.

I see that this piece was posted at 11:22 mountain time–I guess I was up too early

Thanks Justin.

Comment by Mark B. — December 16, 2008 @ 4:43 pm

5. Thanks, Ardis. I would have missed this completely.

Comment by Ray — December 16, 2008 @ 8:51 pm

6. I entered the U of U as a music major the fall of 1857. The highlight of that year was beginning each day in one of the old army barracks taking Beginning Theory from Jay. We all absolutely loved the guy. He didn’t use a printed textbook, so we copied examples and lessons onto manuscript paper from his lectures. I credit him with providing me with the knowledge and enthusiasm and love of music that I still have today.

Comment by Maurine — December 16, 2008 @ 9:15 pm

7. Sorry about the date. Because most of my church history research is in the 1800s, I inadvertantly write 1800 for 1900 a lot. My husband says I’m stuck in the 1800s. Anyway, I was a freshman at U of U in 1957, not 1857.

Comment by Maurine — December 16, 2008 @ 10:03 pm

8. I hope that his setting of The Marshes of Glynn will be remembered somehow, and I wish that I had a recording of it.

Comment by kamschron — December 16, 2008 @ 11:31 pm

9. I note that the Tribune now has an article up about him.

I was pleased to see their report that he “was skilled in teaching music appreciation to thousands of appreciative nonmajors”.

Nothing worse than having to teach [anything] appreciation to the non-appreciative.

Comment by Mark B. — December 17, 2008 @ 7:54 am