Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » O Come, O Come, Emmanuel: December 9

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel: December 9

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 09, 2008

Shades of silent night dividing,
Bursts the glory from above;
Down the stream of brightness gliding,
Comes the messenger of love;
To the shepherds lowly, telling
Of the Christ expected long,
While the sudden anthem, swelling
Fills the flowing heav’n with song.

Heav’n will guard their flocks from danger
Scattered o’er the moist green sward,
While the swains to Bethlehem’s manger,
Hie to greet their newborn Lord.
Awe and love maternal blending,
Fill the blessèd virgin’s heart;
While with reverent gesture bending,
Kneel these humble men apart.

Not alone do men unlearnèd
Bow the holy Child before:
Sages who for truth long yearnèd
Heav’ns true Sun at length adore.
So our songs proclaim a story
Kings of old have longed to know;
Tell of Christ, the Prince of Glory,
Born this night, for high and low.

– G.W. Druce

The Instructor, December 1964

“The Holy Night,” by Feuerstein
(identified by Justin — see comments)

1. I never have anything to add, but I want you to know how much I appreciate this series. Thanks.

Comment by john scherer — December 9, 2008 @ 9:38 am

2. Re: “Unidentified cover art.” No attribution or copyright permissions listed? Scandal!

Comment by Hunter — December 9, 2008 @ 11:02 am

3. P.S. Snarky comments aside, I love the poetry and art, too. Thanks, Ardis.

Comment by Hunter — December 9, 2008 @ 11:02 am

4. Thanks, john and Hunter, and others who have commented on other parts of this series. Even though there’s nothing much to say, I appreciate knowing that people are enjoying these.

Yeah, it bugs me about the lack of attribution. There will be several more to come — all from the Instructor, I think, so their editor for a time must not have been very careful about these things. It doesn’t surprise me that a photo of a generic Christmas scene might not be identified, but THIS one certainly seems as though its artist should be known. I keep expecting someone to comment and say, “Hey, you dork, this is the ultra-famous XYZ painting by ABC — why don’t you know that?!”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 9, 2008 @ 11:22 am

5. Add my note of appreciation for these. Nice, and no bickering.

Comment by kevinf — December 9, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

6. I believe this is an ultra-obscure painting by the little known German painter Martin Von Feuerstein.

Comment by Justin — December 9, 2008 @ 1:45 pm

7. I don’t know whether you’re right, Justin — I can’t tell whether the style is the same — but I certainly appreciate your use of “ultra-obscure” and “little known”! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 9, 2008 @ 2:36 pm

8. I found a copy of it in the December 2001 New Era (p. 5; attributed on p. 4).

Comment by Justin — December 9, 2008 @ 5:39 pm

9. We really do need to schedule that Bloggernacle Parade where we hoist Justin on our shoulders and carry him from blog to blog while the masses cheer — what day would be convenient for you, Justin? /grin/ You are phenomenal!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 9, 2008 @ 5:46 pm

10. Sweet words, thank you.

Comment by Stephen M (Ethesis) — December 9, 2008 @ 8:22 pm