Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » O Come, O Come, Emmanuel: December 7

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel: December 7

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 07, 2008

Il est né le Divin Enfant.
Jouez hautbois, résonnez musettes!
Il est né le Divin Enfant.
Chantons tous son avènement!

Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous le promettaient les prophètes,
Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous attendions cet heureux temps!

Ah! qu’il est beau, qu’il est charmant,
Que ses graces sont parfaites!
Ah! qu’il est beau, qu’il est charmant,
Qu’il est doux le divin Enfant!

Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous le promettaient les prophètes,
Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous attendions cet heureux temps!

Une étable est son logement,
Un peu de paille est sa couchette.
Une étable est son logement,
Pour un Dieu quel abaissement!

Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous le promettaient les prophètes,
Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous attendions cet heureux temps!

O Jésus, o roi tout puissant,
Tout petit enfant que vous êtes,
O Jésus, o roi tout puissant,
Regnez sur nous entièrement!

Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous le promettaient les prophètes,
Depuis plus de quatre mille ans
Nous attendions cet heureux temps!

Relief Society Magazine, December 1959

“Madonna and Child,” by Fra Filippo Lippi

1. This is one of my favorite carols because of the chorus: “For more than 4,000 years, the prophets have promised this (the coming of the King) to us — for more than 4,000 years we have waited for this happy time!” So often I have felt aware of events happening at the end of the 20th and beginning of the 21st century that the prophets have promised for so long and that I am here to see, that I can imagine a similar feeling among those who were aware of the Savior’s birth way back then.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 7, 2008 @ 6:05 am

2. It’s so interesting to me that the Church used to re-publish things like this (this was at a time that there were also Shakespeare lessons in Relief Society). Now the Church seems to do as much as possible to separate itself from other churches, whether that includes beautiful works of art or not. At least we still individually appreciate inspired genius. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Michelle Glauser — December 7, 2008 @ 11:35 am

3. Thank you for these lovely Advent posts. I just read today’s carol thanks to my translator widget. What beautiful thoughts.

It is a very familiar tune. Here’s a performance by the Salt Lake Children’s Choir.

And what a youthful-looking Mary. These posts are taking me back to my childhood days when I would spend hours poring over a catalog from the National Gallery of Art or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Comment by Researcher — December 7, 2008 @ 11:55 am

4. I haven’t been commenting on these, but I have to echo what Researcher just said about the picture of Mary. One of my pet peeves is the portrayal of Mary in pictures that make her look 25 years old. We don’t have any knowledge of her actual age, but I still like portrayals that show her at least looking like a teenager.

Comment by Ray — December 7, 2008 @ 12:56 pm

5. This hymn was in the French hymnal during my mission and has been one of my favorites ever since. And what a great effect it creates. “Jouez hautbois, résonnez musettes,” indeed!

Comment by Hunter — December 7, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

6. A lovely song.

The line Hunter quotes is great–partly because of random associations:

Comment by Mark B. — December 8, 2008 @ 10:59 am

7. Ooops.

1. Hautbois. I knew that all those NY Times crossword puzzles would come in useful.

2. “Jouez hautbois” just conjured up Gilbert & Sullivan’s Iolanthe (Sorry. Ardis, if you want to delete this, feel free.)

Blow the trumpets, bang the brasses!
    Tantantara! Tzing! Boom!

3. “Musettes.” I don’t know what those are, but “Musetta’s Waltz” from La Boheme has to be one of the most heavenly aria’s ever written.

Comment by Mark B. — December 8, 2008 @ 11:05 am

8. Oh, good grief. Who put that apostrophe in there?

Shoot him.

Comment by Mark B. — December 8, 2008 @ 11:06 am

9. I would just fix the apostrophe, but I like your #8 too much to be willing to delete it!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 8, 2008 @ 11:08 am