Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Word Made Visible: A Keepa Puzzle

The Word Made Visible: A Keepa Puzzle

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 25, 2008

Each of these Wordles (courtesy of wordle.net) is built from a different text (talk, scripture, hymn, article, etc.) that should be generally familiar to most of us. As with all Wordles, the words that are used most often in that text are larger, while words appearing less often are smaller. Many short, common English words have been eliminated altogether.

Can you identify the texts from which these Wordles were created? To keep the fun going longer, please identify only ONE text and leave the rest for others. If you want to identify lots of them, write to me at Keepapitchinin at AOL dot com (that’s -inin at the end of Keepapitchinin), and I’ll announce how many you got right without actually giving the answers.

[Update: The texts have all been identified (most answers are listed in comment 23, with the rest in following comments). If you’ve come too late to play with us, test yourself and let us know how you did.]

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

16.

1. I’ll start with an easy one (the privledge of going first?) # 4 is the Articles of Faith.

Comment by BruceC — November 25, 2008 @ 12:45 pm

2. Bruce, I BELIEVE you are right. :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 12:58 pm

3. #3 = OD 2?

Comment by JimD — November 25, 2008 @ 1:06 pm

4. JimD has #3 exactly right. (I moved the other two solutions off the page, though, to give more people a chance to play.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 1:15 pm

5. Edje wrote to me privately with 14 correct answers “…and I stipulate that I consulted no sources nor read the already posted responses. Because it’s really, really important to me that I get full faith and credit for semi-anonymous internet fun. :) ” (The two he did not immediately recognize were 11 and 14.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 1:21 pm

6. I think #2 is The Family: A Proclamation to the World.

Comment by Keri Brooks — November 25, 2008 @ 1:24 pm

7. You think correctly, Keri; that’s it.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 1:25 pm

8. #1, easy – Praise to the Man

Comment by SilverRain — November 25, 2008 @ 2:00 pm

9. Well, I think no. 12 very well could be “Come, Come Ye Saints.”

Comment by Hunter — November 25, 2008 @ 2:01 pm

10. SilverRain and Hunter are both exactly right. Thanks for playing!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 2:06 pm

11. 15 is a nice one with Thanksgiving right in the middle. Appropriate for a season when thoughts turn toward food. It must be the Word of Wisdom.

Comment by Researcher — November 25, 2008 @ 2:15 pm

12. #16 – Official Declaration 1 (Manifesto)

Comment by Maurine — November 25, 2008 @ 2:20 pm

13. 10 is the Sermon on the Mount.

Comment by matt b — November 25, 2008 @ 2:20 pm

14. I think #5 is JSH.

Comment by Ray — November 25, 2008 @ 2:24 pm

15. Researcher, Maurine, and matt b have all correctly identified their parts of the puzzle — good for you.

To recap:

1. Praise to the Man
    2. The Family: A Proclamation to the World
    3. Official Declaration No. 2 (Revelation on the Priesthood)
    4. Articles of Faith
    10. Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5)
    11.
    12. Come, Come Ye Saints
    13.
    14.
    15. Word of Wisdom (D&C 89)
    16. Official Declaration No. 1 (Manifesto)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 2:27 pm

16. Ray is right — 5 is the entire “Joseph Smith — History” section of the Pearl of Great Price.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 2:28 pm

17. In order to give latecomers a chance to play, I’m limiting answers to one per Keepapitchininny. (The one I just removed was correct, though.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 2:31 pm

18. I now can say proudly that I am a ninny. Cool!

Comment by Ray — November 25, 2008 @ 2:38 pm

19. Not just ANY ninny, Ray — a Keepapitchininny!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 2:42 pm

20. I’m pretty sure #13 is the hymn “I Believe in Christ.”

Comment by Ahna — November 25, 2008 @ 2:43 pm

21. 9: How Firm a Foundation

Comment by XiGauss — November 25, 2008 @ 2:52 pm

22. Although I resent being called a pitchininny . . .

six is section 132.
    seven is . . . (I know, but I’m not telling)
    eight is . . . (I know, but I’m not telling)
    usw

And tell Edje that full credit can be granted (if deserved) but not full faith–that’s only a state to state thing under the Constitution.

Comment by Mark B. — November 25, 2008 @ 2:56 pm

23. Ahna, XiGauss, and MarkB. are all champions. And I’m impressed, because I thought How Firm a Foundation and Sec. 132 were the hardest ones.

To recap:

1. Praise to the Man
    2. The Family: A Proclamation to the World
    3. Official Declaration No. 2 (Revelation on the Priesthood)
    4. Articles of Faith
    5. Joseph Smith–History (Pearl of Great Price)
    6. D&C 132
    9. How Firm a Foundation
    10. Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5)
    11.
    12. Come, Come Ye Saints
    13. I Believe in Christ
    14.
    15. Word of Wisdom (D&C 89)
    16. Official Declaration No. 1 (Manifesto)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 3:09 pm

24. Mark B. wrote to me privately with the correct answers to all 16 — Long Live the King!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

25. And Maurine has written in with 9 absolutely correct answers and two almost correct (10 is the entire chapter 5 of Matthew, not just the Beatitudes). A crown for you, too.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 3:13 pm

26. Ardis, I’m with Maurine on 10–I put “the Beatitudes” in my email. So, let some deserving soul have the crown.

Comment by Mark B. — November 25, 2008 @ 3:17 pm

27. 14: the Ensign article by Richard Turley on the Mountain Meadows Massacre?

Comment by Justin — November 25, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

28. Mark, I either looked at your list too fast, or was still laughing about your sly jokes to have noticed.

Justin, that’s the one. (I ran these Wordles by a few people in the library to see whether they would work as a puzzle, and nearly everybody was stumped on that one. I finally decided it was because they all worked on the M@MM book and had so many specific documents or earlier books in their heads that they couldn’t step back and realize that the Ensign article is the one Mountain Meadows account that more modern Mormons would know than any other.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

29. seven is the Declaration of Independence, no?

Comment by Jacob J — November 25, 2008 @ 4:18 pm

30. Yep.

Comment by Mark B. — November 25, 2008 @ 4:28 pm

31. Jacob J, you’re right (a trick question, since it was the only puzzle that wasn’t an obviously churchy one)

That leaves 8 and 11, if I count right, as the only unsolved puzzles.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 4:29 pm

32. Spoiler alert: This comment includes clues to the last remaining puzzles.
    8 is a recent conference talk, and 11 is a recent Priesthood/Relief Society lesson.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

33. “A Heart Full of Love and Faith: The Prophet’s Letters to His Family” for number 11.

Comment by Researcher's Husband — November 25, 2008 @ 4:51 pm

34. 8 is Pres. Uchtdorf’s priesthood (?) talk on lifting the piano. Right?

Comment by Martin Willey — November 25, 2008 @ 4:53 pm

35. And we’ve done it! Researcher’s Husband and Martin Willey come through with the last two.

I dunno about all of you, but I’ve sure had fun this afternoon. Thanks!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 4:57 pm

36. Yep, great quiz Ardis.

Comment by Jacob J — November 25, 2008 @ 5:37 pm

37. Darn it! This is what I get for having a job that sometimes takes me away from the computer — I miss out on the fun.

But I did have enough self-discipline to not look at the answers until I tried to guess. The one about the prophet’s letters to his family and the one about MMM had me stumped.

Comment by Mark Brown — November 25, 2008 @ 7:16 pm

38. Very good, Mark — I’m not sure I would have gotten that many, if I hadn’t written the answer key.

When people in the library tried it, you could tell exactly when some of the key words clicked. They’d start snapping their fingers and trying to dredge up the name of the text — “Oh, yeah, that’s … um … yeah, you know … oh, what do you call it?” I wish someone who understood such things would explain what’s going on when key words in random order like this trigger awareness of something as complex as some of these texts are.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

39. #38 – Dementia is difficult to explain – particularly to old ninnies. :)

Comment by Ray — November 25, 2008 @ 8:39 pm

40. Or by old ninnies? :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 25, 2008 @ 9:13 pm

41. Obviously I cannot begin to explain how people generally might solve these puzzles, but here’s how I solved some of them:

8: “Brethren” and “Priesthood” pointed in that direction, then “Monson” fixed the thing in something recent–it clearly wasn’t something from any of the standard works. Then what pushed me over the top was “Moyle” and that sparked my memory of the story of Bro. Moyle who worked on the temple. Then, I must confess, I couldn’t remember exactly which conference it was–although I was pretty sure it was Pres. Uchtdorf–so I went to http://www.lds.org to check out the recent talks by him. I suppose if I had looked at the puzzle longer and seen “lift” and “piano” I could have finished without looking at lds.org.

9: It helped a lot that I had sung this song in a choir, and am familiar with the verses that we don’t usually sing. So, words like “forsake” and “dross” and “consume” and “all-sufficient” and “repose” and “refine” were enough to get close to the solution, and then finding “foundation” sealed the deal.

Comment by Mark B. — November 25, 2008 @ 11:06 pm

42. That’s funny, #8 was the easiest one for me because I “stand” “lift” “piano” right off the bat (they are basically right in line with each other in the middle). But, I didn’t want to be the one to get the recent conference talk so I looked up at #7 which was also unsolved when I arrived. The word “usurpations” at the bottom was the clincher word for me.

Comment by Jacob J — November 26, 2008 @ 12:57 pm

43. I haven’t been ‘nacling the past couple of days and missed this when it came out. Drat.

I think I will print them and test people at Thanksgiving dinner…after I test myself!

Thanks for the fun, Ardis.

Comment by m&m — November 26, 2008 @ 10:01 pm