Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Keepa’s Wordle

Keepa’s Wordle

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 20, 2008

I’m too lazy today, apparently, to write a real post, so here is another visual. LDS Media Talk points us today toward wordle.net, a nifty little site that analyzes a block of text to produce a “word cloud” indicating by relative size which words are used most often in that text. I pointed Wordle toward Keepa’s Topical Guide, which lists the titles of all posts.

This is what Wordle says we talk about:

1. kitty is so small.

Comment by queuno — November 20, 2008 @ 2:58 pm

2. Tell that to Susa.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 20, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

3. Ardis, your blog just screams “mormon”.

Now there is evidence for that kind of statement. :)

Comment by Ben — November 20, 2008 @ 3:14 pm

4. I’d have expected “Genealogy” to be a bit more prominent.

I eagerly anticipate your forthcoming shipwreck post, by the way. :-)

Comment by JimD — November 20, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

5. If you start at the top in the center and read down, we learn that Ardis is a member of a “Racist Natural Even Church.” :)

This was fun. And how did I miss that Susa Young Gates post from a few months back? Excellent and enjoyable stuff, as always. Thanks Ardis.

Comment by Christopher — November 20, 2008 @ 3:32 pm

6. Why does this look like an Enrichment Night craft project?

Comment by Martin Willey — November 20, 2008 @ 3:33 pm

7. I’m so pleased to see that _knock_ (as in knock, knock) is featured prominently.

Comment by Mark Brown — November 20, 2008 @ 6:52 pm

8. This is a Mormon History blog?! Wow; I have to pay attention.

Comment by Ray — November 20, 2008 @ 9:24 pm

9. Someone did wordle with General Conference. Very cool.

Comment by m&m — November 21, 2008 @ 12:03 am

10. Oh, here’s the link.

Comment by m&m — November 21, 2008 @ 12:03 am

11. One of the best wordles I’ve seen yet.

Comment by Michelle Glauser — November 21, 2008 @ 1:37 am

12. Wordles huh? This is the first I’ve heard of them. Always something new. But I guess that is why I read here. Always something new AND interesting. :) Thanks.

Comment by BruceC — November 21, 2008 @ 8:00 am

13. It’s a very churchy wordle, but not very religious. Lots of people and history and structures and organizations. Very different subject matter from m&m’s conference wordle link.

I particularly like how the Relief Society bookends the whole structure. Kind of holding things together.

And, by the way, is that my Clarissa up in the corner? I’ll have to point it out to her.

Comment by Researcher — November 21, 2008 @ 8:25 am

14. Funny, funny responses, all.

I’ve been running some texts that most of Keepa’s readers would recognize through Wordle and am thinking about posting a half dozen of them as a guessing game. They’re all very different, very distinctive — as distinctive as the General Conference wordle that m&m links to.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 21, 2008 @ 8:35 am

15. Less “Announcement” and more “Speculation”!

Comment by Hunter — November 21, 2008 @ 9:51 am

16. I’ve been running some texts that most of Keepa’s readers would recognize through Wordle and am thinking about posting a half dozen of them as a guessing game.

GREAT idea! Love it.

Comment by m&m — November 21, 2008 @ 11:49 am

17. m&m, Ardis showed me a few of her Wordles Friday, and trust me, you WILL “love it.”

Comment by Maurine — November 23, 2008 @ 11:06 pm