Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Ads You’re Not Going to See Again Anytime Soon – Chapter 12

Ads You’re Not Going to See Again Anytime Soon – Chapter 12

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 20, 2008

The heading on this one from a 1949 Improvement Era just made me laugh — can you twist your mind far enough to imagine your EQP, or any other man in your ward, responding to the bishop’s call this way?

1. Apparently EQP’s have digressed from this domestic status since then…

Comment by Ben — November 20, 2008 @ 10:13 am

2. Wow. I’m having a hard time visualizing either of my grandfathers ever doing a single dish. They must have both known how to run a dishwasher, but I’m really drawing a blank. Why would doing dishes have been a gender specific chore? It’s not like they had to head out to the barn to feed the animals!

Comment by Researcher — November 20, 2008 @ 10:24 am

3. I thought it was the “grab my hat” part that nobody would say anymore.

Washing the dinner dishes was always my dad’s job. A deal he worked out with my mom, while he was a student during the first seven years of their marriage. She’d fix dinner, they’d eat, he’d wash the dishes and go study, undisturbed, for six hours.

Except for the six hours’ study, it’s still that way, 59 years later. (Which, if you do the arithmetic, takes you back to 1949, the year this ad was published.)

Comment by Mark B. — November 20, 2008 @ 10:29 am

4. Your parents had a better division of labor than mine, I think, Mark. Sometimes when my father would call on my mother to say the blessing, she would retort, “I shopped for it. I cooked it. I served it. I’ll be cleaning up after it. Now you want me to bless it, too?”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 20, 2008 @ 11:00 am

5. I do the cooking and the dishes at our house, with some help from the kids. But it is still her kitchen. Go figure.

Comment by BruceC — November 20, 2008 @ 11:28 am

6. Awesome stuff. Thanks Ardis.

Comment by Christopher — November 20, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

7. I just showed this to my wife and she had this thought: maybe the picture of the man on the phone is the bishop, and the statement about washing the dishes is still a woman? Nowhere in the text does it refer to a man washing the dishes, and the ad is probably directed at the women.

Comment by Ben — November 20, 2008 @ 1:56 pm

8. Hmmm. Sister Ben might be right, except that a man is more apt to “grab” his hat than a woman is, no? (What has Keepa come to, that we are parsing old ads this way? {grin})

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 20, 2008 @ 2:07 pm

9. Good catch on the hat, Ardis.

Comment by Ben — November 20, 2008 @ 2:12 pm

10. Hah! Sexism raises its ugly head again. I’ll have you know that I do all the dishwashing in our house. There was a period of time when Sandra used to get a bit miffed when I’d tell her that the dishes in the dishwasher were clean, because she thought I was hinting that she should unload them. I had to explain to her (a few times, before she believed me) that what I was really saying was, “Please don’t put any dirty items in there, because what’s in there is already clean.” ..bruce..

Comment by bfwebster — November 20, 2008 @ 2:17 pm

11. No, Ben, even before the hat, which Ardis caught, you have to use basic principles of illustrated advertising.

The only “spoken” words in the ad are said to, not by, the bishop.

The drawing shows a person speaking. Or else he’s gasping for air, or laughing, or something. But none of those is likely. He’s speaking.

QED.

Comment by Mark B. — November 20, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

12. I can’t get over the visual of the dishes looking like they’ve been dumped into the dishwasher without any order or separation. I just can’t picture my wife letting me even touch the dishwasher if I tried to “stack ‘em” like that picture.

Comment by Ray — November 20, 2008 @ 3:44 pm

13. BruceC. I thought I was the only one who did the cooking and dishes in my wife’s kitchen. Now I don’t feel all alone.

Comment by Steve C. — November 20, 2008 @ 6:44 pm

14. I always wanted pasteurized dishes.

Comment by Coffinberry — November 20, 2008 @ 8:45 pm

15. Steve, I do the cooking, but DW won’t let me touch the dishwasher. Frankly, I don’t grieve the loss.

Comment by Ray — November 20, 2008 @ 9:22 pm

16. I always wanted pasteurized dishes.

Or melted lipstick. Ha. I’m slow…took me a minute to realize they were talking about lipstick ON the dishes.

Yeah, I’m that dense sometimes.

p.s. My first thought on seeing this was, “Is this for real?”

Fun stuff, Ardis.

Comment by m&m — November 21, 2008 @ 12:16 am

17. I’ve decided what I am buying myself for Christmas this year.

Comment by Justin — November 21, 2008 @ 7:18 am

18. “Gifts with a lift” — you’ll be the envy of your ward, Justin, when grab your hat and tell your bishop what you gave yourself.

Keepa has found its purpose in life: personal gift consultant!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 21, 2008 @ 7:46 am

19. OK, this one is funny and ought be in your list Ardis.

Someone at T&S forgot to pay their DNS bill. So when I went to read their latest post I got this:

“Mormon Garments”
    Bargin Prices. Smart Deals. Save on Mormon Garments!

LOL.