Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » In Thanksgiving Daily: November 15

In Thanksgiving Daily: November 15

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 15, 2008

“… live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.” (Alma 34:38)

From now through the end of November, Keepa offers a second daily post surveying some of the Thanksgiving, harvest, and autumn cover art from Church magazines of the past. The idea was suggested by fMhRebecca’s Advent art posts for the past two Decembers, and the series title by Kaimi’s 2003 Thanksgiving post at T&S.

Juvenile Instructor, November 1919

1. Wonderful! This has always been my favorite holiday, and it’s nice that it gets a little remembrance. Thank you.

Comment by queuno — November 15, 2008 @ 1:18 pm

2. I look forward to this!

Comment by Michelle — November 15, 2008 @ 10:28 pm

3. These are beautiful! Thanksgiving is also my favorite holiday.

Besides the fact that I love to bake, like cooking, and enjoy the challenge of having everything ready and hot and delicious at the same time, I also enjoy the history of the holiday and gathering together with family and friends. And the more, the merrier.

Do you know why Thanksgiving is on a Thursday? (And no, it has little or nothing to do with Abraham Lincoln except for the fact that he proclaimed the first national holiday on a day of the week that has been used as a day of prayer and fasting or a day of prayer and thanksgiving since the beginning of the history of America.)

Perhaps a Mormon historian could mention if the practice of having the fast days in the early years of the church on Thursday came from the same tradition.

Well, that was a long comment! Maybe I should have broken it up over several days! :-)

Comment by Researcher — November 16, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

4. Ardis, do you know the name of the artist?

Comment by Justin — November 16, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

5. Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday, too. queuno and Michelle, I hope you like the ones to come.

I don’t know why the Thursday, Researcher– do tell.

And Justin, I didn’t record the artists’ names when I scanned the covers, although it will be easy enough for me to check that tomorrow and to add it from now on (assuming there’s a cover note somewhere in the magazine, as there was at least sometimes).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 16, 2008 @ 1:19 pm

6. Now that I’ve posed the question about why Thanksgiving is on a Thursday, I’d like to cite the actual explanation from the book! I can remember most of it, but not all. I’ve never seen the explanation elsewhere but it made perfect sense. It might take me a couple of days to pull out the quote. (And with that, the suspense starts to build; can I track down my source? :) )

Comment by Researcher — November 16, 2008 @ 4:03 pm

7. Besides the fact that I love to bake, like cooking, and enjoy the challenge of having everything ready and hot and delicious at the same time . . .

All we need now is Researcher’s address, and we’ll know where to go for Thanksgiving!

Comment by Mark B. — November 16, 2008 @ 11:23 pm

8. Well, sure, you’re welcome to come, but you’d have to bring some of your super-special Canadian wheat cereal you were discussing the other day on the wheat post. And the entertainment.

Comment by Researcher — November 17, 2008 @ 9:37 am

9. Thanks for this, Ardis. These are great. And you already know I like the series title. :)

(I just gave a lesson on that verse yesterday in Elders Quorum, so it was really fun to see the series title.)

Comment by Kaimi — November 18, 2008 @ 12:50 am

10. Arids, please do start recording the names of the artists!

Its bad enough how often artists’ names are left out of Church publications!

Comment by Kent Larsen — November 20, 2008 @ 4:09 am

11. Kent, when I went back to look for the artists’ names, I found that none had been recorded (for the covers I had scanned, at least). The Improvement Era sometimes printed the name of the photographer who had prepared a transparency for use on the cover, but even the sculptor and location of the statue on today’s post was omitted.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 20, 2008 @ 6:08 am