Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Rogues Gallery: A Keepa Puzzle

Rogues Gallery: A Keepa Puzzle

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 24, 2008

Below are photographs of some well-known Church leaders (mostly, but not all, General Authorities; some present, some past) – the catch is that they are generally younger in these pictures than we are used to seeing them. Can you recognize them?

[UPDATE: All pictures have been identified -- see comment 59 for a full list. Latecomers, test yourselves. Let us know how you do!]

8 (the older one)

15 (the little critters are brine shrimp)

1. #5 has got to be Gordon B. Hinkley. No time for the rest. . .

Comment by Eric Boysen — October 24, 2008 @ 6:35 am

2. #2 is Ezra Taft Benson. I recognized a few others, but will leave them to others to guess…

Hey, Ardis! How come there are no early photos of Kevin Barney?

Comment by Gerald Smith — October 24, 2008 @ 7:01 am

3. Wow. A few of them do resemble someone you’d find in a police lineup.

Number 13 is easy, but I’ll guess on picture number 14.

Actually I don’t have to guess. I remember this picture from the lesson manual because he looks a lot like someone I know. Very distinctive features. And it’s nice to know that he didn’t have such amazing success in his missionary efforts because he was a pretty face.

Number 14 is Wilford Woodruff.

Comment by Researcher — October 24, 2008 @ 7:04 am

4. #13 James E Faust?

Comment by C Jones — October 24, 2008 @ 7:05 am

5. 1 – Eric is a winner!

2 – So is Gerald!

Thanks, both of you, for sticking to the request to identify only ONE or TWO.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 7:05 am

6. Researcher and C Jones both get their points. Good on ya!

This may be easier than I thought it would be.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 7:07 am

7. #10 looks like Elder Nelson.

Comment by Tom — October 24, 2008 @ 7:30 am

8. Yup, Tom, Russell M. Nelson it is.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 7:44 am

9. Darn it! the easy ones are gone. Well, lets see.

Number 1 reminds me a Joseph Smith. Could it be one of his relatives? Joseph F Smith (before his beard)?

Number 3 kind of (sort of) looks like Neal A Maxwell.

Comment by BruceC — October 24, 2008 @ 8:01 am

10. I have to ask. How do you get scans of these pictures? The library I use does not have a photographic quality scanner, or even a scanner for that matter. And I can’t remove the books I look in to take them to the one down the street. Any suggestions? My most recent efforts produced a picture certainly not of the quality there are.

Comment by BruceC — October 24, 2008 @ 8:06 am

11. “And I tried to post one of Kevin, but all I could find were sketches from his BYU modeling days. Those just seemed out of place next to GBH and ETB …”

You think? :)

Comment by Ray — October 24, 2008 @ 8:10 am

12. Bruce, No. 1 is indeed a relative of Joseph Smith, but not Joseph F. Smith (who, by the way, IS included somewhere in this gallery, but not at No. 1)

And yes, No. 3 is Neal A. Maxwell. I thought that was a tough one — good for you!

The LDS history library has a machine that will scan from either paper or microfilm and produce a digital file I can save on my thumb drive. The microfilm scans are pretty dreadful, but the paper scanner works beautifully. I can scan anything that the library would allow to be copied on a standard photocopier. Which is to say, anything in open stacks, and nothing in closed stacks. The machine is available for public use, and there’s no charge. Sweet.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 8:13 am

13. Yeah, Ray, I thunk! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 8:14 am

14. Yes, Joseph F Smith wasn’t a great guess. He would have been too old for the type of picture you have (style of dress and picture quality). Now you have me comparing photos of the relatives of Joseph Smith I know. I see a pictute of Joseph Fielding Smith at light planet that has the same smile (or lack of one). Could it be him?

Comment by BruceC — October 24, 2008 @ 8:57 am

15. Number 1 is Joseph Fielding Smith and, looking at this picture, I believe that it must have been the basis for some of the church artists’ conceptions of Joseph Smith — the picture looks so much like what we’ve come to expect Joseph Smith to have looked like, it is remarkable.

Comment by john f. — October 24, 2008 @ 9:12 am

16. Picture number 4 is Elder Packer.

Comment by john f. — October 24, 2008 @ 9:13 am

17. Yes, No. 1 is Joseph Fielding Smith (the Dour One). Can you pick his father out somewhere else in this gallery?

Somebody let me know when it’s time to offer general hints, like whether somebody is a president or apostle, or current or past, or other clues to steer you in the right direction without making it obvious.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 9:17 am

18. john f is right (both counts) — Boyd K. Packer is another one I thought was really tough, so congratulations there.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 9:20 am

19. His father, Joseph F Smith, is number 8, I think

Comment by BruceC — October 24, 2008 @ 9:31 am

20. Nope, not No. 8 — but you’re not far off, really. No. 8 is another Smith relative. You must have a good eye for the family resemblances. (I’m not sure I ever really looked at Joseph F. Smith to be able to recognize him without the beard.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 9:44 am

21. Is #4 BRM?

Comment by Eric Nielson — October 24, 2008 @ 9:44 am

22. The bloggernacle’s Niblet awards is named after #9, and #11 is Spencer W. Kimball.

17 and 18 have me stumped.

Comment by Mark Brown — October 24, 2008 @ 9:44 am

23. Wait a minute, I think I know 17.

Comment by Mark Brown — October 24, 2008 @ 9:45 am

24. 21: No. 4 is identified in comment 16

22: Wow, Mark, I know I keep saying I thought this or that one was hard, but No. 11 is absolutely the most difficult, I think, because of the hat and the smaller image of his face. Congratulations on both correct identifications!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 9:46 am

25. # 18 is J. Reuben Clark, I suspect. Has # 12 been identified yet?

Comment by kevinf — October 24, 2008 @ 9:56 am

26. # 12 Harold B. Lee?

Comment by kevinf — October 24, 2008 @ 9:58 am

27. 25: No. 12 has not been identified yet. J. Reuben Clark *is* in this gallery, but not at No. 18.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 9:58 am

28. Crossed messages — yes, #12 is Harold B. Lee. Congrats!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 9:59 am

29. #8 is George Albert Smith.

Comment by Justin — October 24, 2008 @ 10:02 am

17:
    18:
    19:

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 10:03 am

31. 17 is Hugh B. Brown

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 10:05 am

32. Okay, # 17 is J. Reuben Clark, then.

Comment by kevinf — October 24, 2008 @ 10:07 am

33. 31/32: No. 17 is J. Reuben Clark

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 10:10 am

34. wow, Packer was a cutie as a teenager.

#18: hair by Kewpie.

Comment by jeans — October 24, 2008 @ 10:13 am

35. Ha! More than one put in special effort on the hair, don’t you think?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 10:16 am

36. Bonus points to Mark Brown for a private note pointing out that there are two pictures of one man, which he calls my “curve ball.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 10:20 am

37. Ok, since I was wrong on #17, I’ll keep playing. Is #15 Talmage?

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 10:27 am

38. I think 15 is James E Talmage.

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 10:30 am

39. Sorry. Crosspost with Joey.

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 10:31 am

40. No. 15 is indeed James E. Talmage — Joey wins by a nose. (For me, that would have been another hard one.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 10:38 am

41. 19: David O McKay?

Comment by DavidC — October 24, 2008 @ 10:49 am

42. David, No. 19 *is* David O. McKay. Good for you!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 10:56 am

43. I think I was able to get 12 of them. This is great fun, Ardis!

Comment by J. Stapley — October 24, 2008 @ 11:00 am

44. I’m supposed to be writing my Trib column this morning, J., but this is too much fun. I’ll try to think of some variation of this for a future post.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:02 am

45. #7 = David O. McKay

Comment by Alan — October 24, 2008 @ 11:05 am

46. You got it! No. 7 is *also* David O. McKay.

Time for another recap:

16:
    17: J. Reuben Clark
    18:
    19: David O. McKay

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:08 am

47. A hint or two?

No. 6 lived a very beneficial life.

No. 16 looks unfamiliar because you’ve never seen his lips or jaw before.

No. 18 was once quite a bum.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:13 am

48. # 16, Lorenzo Snow?

Comment by kevinf — October 24, 2008 @ 11:15 am

49. Nope, but the two men knew each other well.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:19 am

50. B. H. Roberts once disguised himself as a hobo to retrieve the bodies of the missionaries killed in the South. Were any other Church leaders “bums?”

Comment by Alan — October 24, 2008 @ 11:23 am

51. Ardis, how about giving us a clue on these remaining difficult faces? (so I can get back to work!)

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 11:23 am

52. Thanks for the clues, you put them up before I posted.

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 11:25 am

53. Alan correctly identifies No. 18 as B.H. Roberts, and explains the clue.

More clues:

No. 6 is sometimes remembered for baseball, singing, and handwriting.

No. 16 is associated with Nauvoo, Hawaii, and Washington, D.C.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:26 am

54. # 6, Heber J. Grant.

Comment by kevinf — October 24, 2008 @ 11:32 am

55. Do I need to grant another clue for 6? Is anyone fielding the clues for 16?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:32 am

56. Kevin, YES!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:33 am

57. Is 16 Joseph F. Smith?

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 11:33 am

17: J. Reuben Clark
    18: B.H. Roberts
    19: David O. McKay

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:35 am

60. 6: Heber J. Grant

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 11:36 am

61. Droga. I keep forgetting to refresh.

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 11:37 am

62. Edje, in that case I’m glad you’re always right. How embarrassing would it be otherwise? :)

This was, by the way, Keepa’s 200th post. Thanks to everybody who played for making it such an enjoyable one.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:39 am

63. This was fun, Ardis. I vote for more of the same in the future.

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 11:39 am

64. Thanks, Edje. I want to do something that involves women — I couldn’t work any into this quiz, though, because even when we recognize their names, women tend to be prominent in the Church for such a short time that we don’t really remember their faces.

I’ll wear my thinking cap for other ideas, and if anyone has suggestions, please do let me know.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:45 am

65. Lately I can’t get online until late at night, so I missed out on all of the fun. DARN!!! But, testing myself, I got 11 correct. I’ll learn to check in earlier if you are going to do this again.

Comment by Maurine — October 24, 2008 @ 4:41 pm

66. Sorry, Maurine!

We’ve had fun with the two puzzles (this, and the Bible/Book of Mormon riddles), so I do want to do it again. Maybe I’ll announce the next one ahead of time.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 4:54 pm

67. How did I miss out on this! Dagnabbit! I got 11 correct.

Thanks for putting this up.

Comment by Ben — October 24, 2008 @ 5:48 pm

68. 11 seems to be a magic number. Sorry you missed the excitement, Ben! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 5:53 pm

69. I only got Elder Nelson and President Hinckley. I recognized that the first guy looks a lot like Joseph Smith, Jr. but I didn’t guess who he was. I recognized Elder Wirthlin’s pic as one I’d seen in the Ensign lately but I didn’t remember who it was. Cool game, Ardis! Next time include Kevin, though. =)

Comment by Tatiana — October 24, 2008 @ 6:14 pm

70. #47 – Catching up, and realize the answers are in the comments, but I couldn’t help but think, “#16 is Wilson? Why would Wilson be in this array?”

Comment by Ray — October 24, 2008 @ 9:37 pm

71. Ardis,

Ugh, that was hard. The only one I recognized was Hinckley. Some of the other ones I would think should be easy (e.g. Maxwell or Nelson) but I didn’t see them in there previous selves. By the way, I can’t believe you didn’t have one of the photographs of Joseph Smith in there ;)

Comment by Jacob J — October 26, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

72. he-he … Yeah, I missed a chance there, didn’t I, Jacob?! Next time …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 26, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

73. Ardis, I think that you should do women. If we don’t know what they look like–shame on us. It would be a learning experience.

Comment by Jeff Johnson — October 26, 2008 @ 10:59 pm