Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Rogues Gallery: A Keepa Puzzle

Rogues Gallery: A Keepa Puzzle

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 24, 2008

Below are photographs of some well-known Church leaders (mostly, but not all, General Authorities; some present, some past) – the catch is that they are generally younger in these pictures than we are used to seeing them. Can you recognize them?

[UPDATE: All pictures have been identified — see comment 59 for a full list. Latecomers, test yourselves. Let us know how you do!]

8 (the older one)

15 (the little critters are brine shrimp)

1. Ardis, how about giving us a clue on these remaining difficult faces? (so I can get back to work!)

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 11:23 am

2. Thanks for the clues, you put them up before I posted.

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 11:25 am

3. Alan correctly identifies No. 18 as B.H. Roberts, and explains the clue.

More clues:

No. 6 is sometimes remembered for baseball, singing, and handwriting.

No. 16 is associated with Nauvoo, Hawaii, and Washington, D.C.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:26 am

4. # 6, Heber J. Grant.

Comment by kevinf — October 24, 2008 @ 11:32 am

5. Do I need to grant another clue for 6? Is anyone fielding the clues for 16?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:32 am

6. Kevin, YES!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:33 am

7. Is 16 Joseph F. Smith?

Comment by Joey — October 24, 2008 @ 11:33 am

17: J. Reuben Clark
    18: B.H. Roberts
    19: David O. McKay

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:35 am

10. 6: Heber J. Grant

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 11:36 am

11. Droga. I keep forgetting to refresh.

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 11:37 am

12. Edje, in that case I’m glad you’re always right. How embarrassing would it be otherwise? :)

This was, by the way, Keepa’s 200th post. Thanks to everybody who played for making it such an enjoyable one.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:39 am

13. This was fun, Ardis. I vote for more of the same in the future.

Comment by Edje — October 24, 2008 @ 11:39 am

14. Thanks, Edje. I want to do something that involves women — I couldn’t work any into this quiz, though, because even when we recognize their names, women tend to be prominent in the Church for such a short time that we don’t really remember their faces.

I’ll wear my thinking cap for other ideas, and if anyone has suggestions, please do let me know.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 11:45 am

15. Lately I can’t get online until late at night, so I missed out on all of the fun. DARN!!! But, testing myself, I got 11 correct. I’ll learn to check in earlier if you are going to do this again.

Comment by Maurine — October 24, 2008 @ 4:41 pm

16. Sorry, Maurine!

We’ve had fun with the two puzzles (this, and the Bible/Book of Mormon riddles), so I do want to do it again. Maybe I’ll announce the next one ahead of time.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 4:54 pm

17. How did I miss out on this! Dagnabbit! I got 11 correct.

Thanks for putting this up.

Comment by Ben — October 24, 2008 @ 5:48 pm

18. 11 seems to be a magic number. Sorry you missed the excitement, Ben! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 24, 2008 @ 5:53 pm

19. I only got Elder Nelson and President Hinckley. I recognized that the first guy looks a lot like Joseph Smith, Jr. but I didn’t guess who he was. I recognized Elder Wirthlin’s pic as one I’d seen in the Ensign lately but I didn’t remember who it was. Cool game, Ardis! Next time include Kevin, though. =)

Comment by Tatiana — October 24, 2008 @ 6:14 pm

20. #47 – Catching up, and realize the answers are in the comments, but I couldn’t help but think, “#16 is Wilson? Why would Wilson be in this array?”

Comment by Ray — October 24, 2008 @ 9:37 pm

21. Ardis,

Ugh, that was hard. The only one I recognized was Hinckley. Some of the other ones I would think should be easy (e.g. Maxwell or Nelson) but I didn’t see them in there previous selves. By the way, I can’t believe you didn’t have one of the photographs of Joseph Smith in there 😉

Comment by Jacob J — October 26, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

22. he-he … Yeah, I missed a chance there, didn’t I, Jacob?! Next time …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 26, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

23. Ardis, I think that you should do women. If we don’t know what they look like–shame on us. It would be a learning experience.

Comment by Jeff Johnson — October 26, 2008 @ 10:59 pm