Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “Why I chose to convert to Islam,” by my niece

“Why I chose to convert to Islam,” by my niece

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 08, 2008

I have put up a sidebar link to “Why I chose to convert to Islam,” a YouTube video created by my niece. Because it’s an unusual feature for Keepa and comment might be irresistible, I’ve opened this post to keep off-topic comments from other posts.

She is my niece, and I love her.

1. Thanks Ardis. I enjoyed hearing the story of her journey and wish God’s (Allah’s) choicest blessings upon her.

Comment by DavidH — September 8, 2008 @ 9:08 pm

2. Very interesting; thanks for sharing that. I don’t begrudge anyone following a different path, especially if they are as thoughtful about it as your niece. (I suppose it helps that I have tremendous respect for Islam as a religion.)

Comment by Kevin Barney — September 8, 2008 @ 9:09 pm

3. Thanks for posting this.

Comment by Amira — September 8, 2008 @ 9:40 pm

4. Thanks, Ardis. What Kevin said.

Comment by Ray — September 8, 2008 @ 10:32 pm

5. She seems at peace with this and I feel peaceful about it.

Comment by Howard — September 9, 2008 @ 12:20 am

6. I’m glad she’s found a way to become a better person, as she says. I’d like to hear why really, though. This seems like the lead up to exploring the faith rather than her reasons. I hope you let us know when she posts again!

Comment by Michelle Glauser — September 9, 2008 @ 4:27 am

7. In just this brief clip she seems like an extraordinary person. One can only wish her the best. To my way of thinking, it is better to have joy as a Muslim than to be uncomfortable as a Latter-day Saint. If we LDS truly believe in the 11th Article of Faith (and we do), then all we can wish her to have is God’s blessings.

Count me in as someone who wishes to see more of her clips. I am intrigued by her story.

Comment by S.Faux — September 9, 2008 @ 6:29 am

8. My condolences. Interesting how she contrasts conservative religion from conservative politics.

At least she live in an era when the older versions of the Koran are finally coming to light and are becoming available for study and contrast with the current version.

For some reason the download was painfully slow (I’m on cable internet), btw. A transcript would be nice, if there is one, just to allow more coherent trains of thought.

“I can’t tell you why I don’t believe in God.” Must be the quote line most likely to be taken out of context.

Sorry she lost her husband. I’m glad she has gone from “not a good person” to someone who is more comfortable with herself and who has found teachings that they can follow.

Comment by Stephen M (Ethesis) — September 9, 2008 @ 12:27 pm

9. Just wanted to give a few quick replies. Thanks all for watching the video and being supportive.

To Michelle, you are right, there was no time for things that I love about Islam, I felt the biographical details were too important because so many people have scoffed at someone converting to Islam. It’s kind of like, “what’s wrong with you, didn’t you see 9/11?” So I wanted to explain the long (and winding) road that brought me there.

To Stephen, I am familiar with the controversy that you are speaking of. As someone who has spent time studying Arabic, and although it’s attempted to be portrayed differently, the variations that you may find amount to little more than the wrong voweling (sp) of a letter. Most of them are as simple as a long vowel being turned into a short vowel or vice versa. Certainly it is not enough for me to abandon the most important thing in my life. If you are LDS, then surely you can appreciate that many people find there is ample evidence to disprove your religion, myself included, so I hope you can be appreciative of the fact that we all approach things differently, and that we have to make our own minds up about what explanations mean something to us, and which don’t.

Comment by The Niece — September 10, 2008 @ 4:41 am