Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1927

Latter-day Saint Images, 1927

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 22, 2008

Another page from our family photo album, with Sunday Schools from around the world sending their greetings.

.Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

.Breslau East Branch, Germany

.Rexburg 4th Ward,
.Idaho

.Lowestoft, Norwich, England

.Chinook Branch (Montana?)
.(North Central States Mission)

.Bellingham, Washington

.St. Joseph, Missouri

.Hilo, Hawaii
left
.Basel, Switzerland

.Rockford, Illinois

1. I love this old stuff. At the FAIR conference I was able to snag a box full of Improvement Era‘s from 1950-1970. What a hoot! I plan to make good use of them on my blog.

Comment by BHodges — August 22, 2008 @ 9:20 am

2. I can’t help but think that the Breslau branch that was so vibrant before World War II would cease to exist after the war–Less that 20 years after this photo was taken.

Comment by Steve C. — August 22, 2008 @ 3:44 pm

3. As always, these are wonderful, Ardis.

Comment by Ray — August 22, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

4. I love thinking of them as our family photos. They certainly are! What a great family we have! =)

Comment by Tatiana — August 22, 2008 @ 5:10 pm

5. Tatiana, don’t we, though? :)

BHodges, they’ll spoil you in a lot of ways, and will give you lots of ideas for posts. I know. Boy, do I know.

Steve, I’m glad these Saints didn’t know that, the morning they posed for their picture. It’s hard enough looking back and knowing what’s coming.

Ray, thanks. Not much more to say than has already been said on the similar posts, but I’ll keep posting these from time to time, because I enjoy them and because there’s a chance there will be a picture of a group in some place with special meaning to some reader.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 22, 2008 @ 8:09 pm

6. This may be so late that nobody will see it except Ardis (who may have to rescue it from the moderation queue).

I had dinner with a friend from my mission–we were never companions but served together in two different areas. He was visiting Brooklyn to see the home where his father lived when he first arrived in the U.S.–from Breslau. The family lived in Brooklyn for seven years before moving to Utah.

I showed my friend a book published in 1940 by the Brooklyn Ward, which has photographs of the ward leaders and members for the previous 20 years. It was like a family reunion–uncles and aunts and cousins and friends.

This makes me think that perhaps things didn’t turn out so badly for all those members in Breslau. Some of them–maybe most of them–emigrated to the United States, and it seems that Brooklyn was a stopping point for many as they eventually made their way to Utah and elsewhere in the West.

Comment by Mark B. — September 19, 2008 @ 9:27 am

7. Mark, I certainly did see it (and no moderation this time!) and hope others will see it in the “recent comments” queue — thanks for posting this. That’s good news. I wonder if the picture here is clear enough for your friend to pick out familiar faces?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 19, 2008 @ 9:44 am