Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Ads You’re Not Going to See Again Anytime Soon — Chapter 1

Ads You’re Not Going to See Again Anytime Soon — Chapter 1

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 12, 2008

From 1923:

1. You think?

“Relief Society Women Ask for Blue Pine Oil”

That cracks me up!

Comment by Ray — July 12, 2008 @ 7:06 pm

2. I like the fact that their pure French olive oil is unusually rich in butterfat content. From contented French cows?

Comment by Jami — July 12, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

3. Ardis, I believe you have researched healing anointings, if memory serves (frequency, anointing the “affected parts,” etc.)? Would you say that greater quantities of consecrated oil were used, per capita, in the early twentieth-century Church than today?

Comment by Rick Grunder — July 12, 2008 @ 9:07 pm

4. Rick, I’m hoping J. Stapley will stop by to comment on that, because he’s the expert. My guess would be that yes, they used more oil in past years than now — I have the impression from somewhere that some took it internally, and some poured it on “affected parts,” rather than limiting it to a few drops in an anointing and healing as is most common today. J., are you there?

Ray, me too. Jami, I don’t explain ‘em, just post ‘em. :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 12, 2008 @ 9:20 pm

5. Awesome.

Yeah, in 1923, anointing the area of affliction was still extant and while it was starting to be less and less common, the RS sisters still participated in the full body unctions for sickness, but more commonly for pregnant women. And people still drank it. The post-Lund Grant administration really did oversee a dramatic shift and rationalization of the healing liturgy, though. The healers were removed from the Temple in 1921 and I see that as one of the critical demarcations.

The historical precedent really is wonderful though. One of my favorites is the requisition of oil by the barrel at the Deseret Hospital.

Comment by J. Stapley — July 12, 2008 @ 9:56 pm

6. I find the marketing of the purity of the olive oil fascinating. In the early Utah period, that was a huge deal. I think I have a source for Brigham not being able to use some oil once because it was so spoiled.

Comment by J. Stapley — July 12, 2008 @ 9:58 pm

7. thanks for dropping by our blog ardis as well as for the comment. It is an ads in a newspaper? that’s cool. The sister’s used the Pure Olive Oil in massage maybe?

Anyway, Ardis, can you include us in your blogroll. We will do mine to you. Thanks a lot!

Comment by MR & MRS THOUGHSTKOTO — July 13, 2008 @ 12:10 am

8. What interests me is the “Scowcroft” name. Is this the same Scowcroft family that brought us Brent Scowcroft, who was prominent in the Ford and Bush I administrations?

Comment by Mark B. — July 13, 2008 @ 9:39 pm

9. Don’t know, Mark B. — how oily do you think Brent Scowcroft was?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 13, 2008 @ 9:42 pm

10. RE: #9

So oily that…”with charm oozing from every pore he oiled his way across the floor!*”

* from “My Fair Lady”